Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Some more questions

Again a few people have asked some great questions, and I forget being around all these doctors, that I might get a little too technical with some stuff, and other things I just plain don't know either..so I'll try my best to explain.

1. The question of stem cell research came up - I was asked if we are allowed to donate our embryos we don't use or freeze (side note: freezing would be to save eggs for a possible other chance at IVF - this depends on how many eggs, and what quality they are - if Brian and I had to do this route again or wanted to - it would only be a week trip here because I wouldn't have to take all the hormones to make my eggs, because we already have them frozen little popsicles!) ?? Brian and I are all for it! Whatever they can figure out to help cure diseases and figure out our genetics and why things happen to babies, we are all for. I know this is a very controversial subject for some (aka the President, sorry to the KG's) but Brian and I think it's very cool to help in any way we can. Most likely too, they only take the embryos that weren't formed enough to make a baby, and study the reasons why not.
2. The question of my levels came up from two people and it's a very good question - My reading level 345 is my estradol level (now I'm not too medically savvy but I do know it has to do with your hormonal level, specifically, the follicles on your ovaries (they produce the eggs)) Each ovary needs to have around 6-10 good size follicles on it (meaning they need to measure 18-20, each follicle). Now each follicle, puts out a hormonal level of 100-200, when they keep growing. Therefore, ideally you could do the math and get 10 great follicles, at 200 estradol level each, and make your readings get up to 2000. Now because I'm a special case with the PCOS and the endo, they will be watching me closely and probably not even let me get that high depending on how many days I've been on the shots, how my follicles (the good ones look) and if they think I'm ready. A regular IVF, like I said, is a 7-12 day shot taker and usually in there somewhere get to go do their retrieval. Since I'm on the slow boat, mine is going to take longer, and I could be taking shots for up to or over 16 days. Now, that's a really long time, and could possibly push us back a bit more on coming home. I cannot stress about that, because it's not good for me...so as we keep saying around here..let's just take one day at a time!

Thanks for your great questions. I hope I haven't confused you guys more.

Love, Linds

No comments: